Could you transform a young person’s career chances by offering a work placement?
Offering a work placement in your company allows you to really boost a young person’s career prospects. Blackpool Sixth students can undertake a work placement in almost any area that relates to their course, or that will give them a greater understanding of their desired career.
- Enriches a CV
- Enhances a UCAS application & personal statement for higher education
- Builds confidence
- Increases communication skills
- Gives a greater understanding of the world of work in their desired area
- Helps build links for future employment opportunities
- Provides a referee from a reputable company
- Opens a student’s eyes to new areas of employment they may not have previously considered.
We ask students to treat their work placement as a responsible adult would treat paid employment in the world of work. This way the student can really get the best out of their placement; asking questions, using initiative, learning on the job and taking responsibility for their actions.
Alongside academic studies it is important for students to build on their employability skills during their time at sixth form. We provide a range of guest speakers who will come and talk to students about the importance of interview skills, preparing for the world of work, life after college, and general advice and guidance. These industry experts also offer career-targeted workshops where students can learn more about a specific career or company.
Our employability programme also enables students to go on workplace tours, receive support with work experience and volunteering and the chance to attend careers and UCAS fairs within Blackpool Sixth. Our dedicated Futures Team are on hand for drop-ins all day, every day to offer advice on all options after Blackpool Sixth, CV help, interview support, and advice on where and how to apply for part-time work.
It’s not just the students who benefit from placements, it’s you too!
- Liaising with Blackpool Sixth helps for a better understanding of changes to the education system and current qualifications
- Students may provide a fresh perspective as well as an additional resource
- College promotion of partner businesses through newsletters and the wider community
- Raising your profile in the community and your image of corporate social responsibility
- Scope for finding future long-term employment with successful students
- Gives staff the chance to work in a supervisory role who may not otherwise have the chance
Our students have lots of skills and interests and study a range of over 60 courses. If you can offer a work placement in a department of your business whether hands on with customers or service users, administration, research and writing, graphics and design or other staff support, we can find a student to match the opportunity.
Our students undertake work placements at various times throughout the year. This could be one afternoon a week around their timetable for a few months or one/two full-time weeks in half term, summer or other designated weeks.
We work with hundreds of employers across the Fylde Coast and surrounding areas who help our students enhance their employability skills.
If a work placement within your company is something you could offer one of our students, please contact our Employer Liaison Officer, Eloise Haworth, on 01253 307094 or firstname.lastname@example.org