Medical condition support
If you have a medical condition, we strongly encourage you to disclose this to a member of the Additional Support Team as soon as possible.
This is essential if we are to inform your tutors of symptoms that can potentially, become life threatening. Our team of first aiders are trained to deal with any medical emergency.
Some of the conditions we support include:
- Heart conditions
If you have a condition that requires the use of medication we ask that you bring spare into the college for use as an emergency backup. This is stored safely in the medical room and made available immediately, should you require it.
If your medical condition at times, means that you are unable to attend college following an operation or your condition is affecting your attendance on a regular basis, we may be able to offer further support.
We will carry out a risk assessment, taking into account the subject area you study and create an action plan to identify how you can remain on course for as long as possible. It depends upon your due dates as to what advice you are given – help is also provided to organise child care for when you return to college.
How can we help?
We have provided examples of how the college can support you with the following conditions:
- An allowance to come out of lesson in order to check blood sugar levels or take medication in private.
- Timetable adjustments if you require a regular time for meals.
- Breaks in exams and an allowance to take your medication into the exam.
- Help to manage your condition if you are newly diagnosed.
- Store a second Epi-pen and train staff/students to help you use it.
- We will risk assess your access to college, identifying how to keep you safe.
- Develop a specific protocol, to support your safety on visits.
If you wish to speak further with a member of the Additional Support Team, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or dial 01253 394911 and ask to speak to the Focus Centre.