Sports Leaders UK Leadership Academy
Blackpool Sixth are proud to be a Sports Leaders UK Leadership Academy.
Sports Leaders UK awards and qualifications equip young people with employability skills for life improving motivation, self-esteem, communication, team work and confidence. Leadership volunteering is a vital part of all sports leader courses allowing young people to practice and build their skills in order to ‘Give More. Become More.’ to improve employability. We are able to offer these nationally recognised qualifications to Blackpool Sixth students taking BTEC Sport, BTEC Dance or BTEC Public Services.
What are the benefits of completing a Sports Leaders UK course?
- A fun and practical course that focuses on leading rather than technical ability.
- A potential stepping stone into employment, further education or training. 78% of teenagers said that the skills they had gained from the Sports Leaders UK course could be used in the workplace ‘a lot’ or to ‘some’ extent.
- Increased self-confidence that comes through taking responsibility for their own and others learning and enjoyment. 92% of teenage learners said they were more confident about speaking in front of a group.
- A nationally recognised qualification
- Gives learners the opportunity to take responsibility, creating young people who are able to act in a mature and responsible way.
- Increased understanding and empathy with others helps to create a supportive and co-operative atmosphere. 80% of teenagers said that they were more likely to help the community as a result of their course.
- Provides training for volunteers who can lead sport and recreation activities within lunch time and after school clubs, sports festivals and tournaments, holiday schemes, community sports events.
“The sports leaders course was great, it really opened my eyes to sports for people of all ages and abilities. Through the course I have helped out teaching sports to people with disabilities and this helped me choose my final course choice for university. Being a sports leader gave me vital experience and confidence when running and assisting with events and also helped me with my BTEC course as it linked together really well” – Blackpool Sixth student Stacey Wilson
Some useful information: